My practice specializes in treating children, adolescents, young adults, and parents. I also specialize in weight loss surgery consulting. Please see the Weight Loss Surgery Consulting page of my website for my information.
- Social and Communication Skills for children and adolescents
- Conflict resolution for children and adolescents
- Parenting Issues and parent-child relationship issues *
- Coping Skills *
- Pre and Post-op Weight Loss Surgery (WLS) support -(adults only)
- Anxiety *
- Behavioral Issues
- Depression *
- Low Self-esteem and self-confidence *
- Life Skills
- Career counseling for young adults (ages 17-30)
- Coping with divorce and life transitions (for children & adolescents)
- Trauma/Abuse (sexual, physical, and emotional)
- Parenting Coaching*
* indicates that these counseling serves are available for adults and children/adolescents.
More Information About Services
- Parenting Coaching– While there is no one way to raise a child, counseling can offer guidance and education to parents based on what is known clinically to be healthy and effective parenting techniques. The goal is always to help you, the parent, though the inevitable bumps to a healthier relationship with you child.
- Services With Children and Teens:
1.) The initial session
For the initial meeting with children and teens, I like for us to schedule 60-75 mins. That gives me time to bring both of you in the room together to help your child or teen to feel safe and at ease. I will gather initial information from both of you and explain the counseling process, as well as any questions you may have.
Then I will meet with the parent(s) for about 30 mins to discuss the issues that bring you to counseling and get a developmental history and background information about the child and his/her functioning. Then, I will meet with your child/teen one-on-one for about 20-30 mins to get your child’s viewpoint of what issues bring him/her to counseling, and to establish rapport with your child.
Then the parent will come back into the room at the end of the session with child to go over what we talked about, share any action steps, discuss treatment, and to schedule the next session.
2.) Follow up sessions
After the initial session, I will meet with the parent(s) for a few minutes if the parent needs to discuss information regarding the child/teen with me. Then I will meet with your child/teen. At the end of the session, we will meet together to share progress, action steps, any concerns, and schedule next sessions. Follow up sessions are usually 50-60 mins.
3.) My approach to counseling children and teens.
I encourage children and teens to share with you what we talk about in the session, often at the end of the session or at home. There may be times when they aren’t quite ready to tell you what they shared. I work with them to help them feel comfortable to tell you themselves, as that truly builds a stronger relationship between you and them, but it may take a couple of weeks before they are ready. In the event of a safety concern, I will always tell you immediately, even if they aren’t quite ready to tell you themselves. Safety is of the utmost importance.
Because children are sensitive, and they have a tendency to fill in the blanks as best as their young minds can, I strive to keep them in the loop on what we talk about. Their imaginations can be quite vivid when filling in the unknowns and can often create possibilities that are much scarier than what is really happening.
That is why I like to bring you back in the room at the end of the session for the recap. I don’t want them to think that they are bad, broken, the cause of secrets, or even at fault for adult issues going on at home. However, if there are topics or concerns that I have that are not appropriate for them to hear, I will share those with you privately. Again safety comes first.
- Combined Parent & Child/Teen Sessions
For families that needing counseling services for both the parent(s) and child/teen, sessions can be set-up in several different ways. Most commonly, the parent and the child/teen would both have individual 45 min sessions. These sessions can be scheduled back-to-back, or on different days or time of day. We will discuss during out initial meeting what works best to fit your family’s counseling needs.